Berwyn Public Library – 2701 S. Harlem Ave
Their library, the Thomas G. Shaughnessy Center, is named after the former mayor of Berwyn (serving from 1993-2005), who centralized the city’s libraries. Begun by leading woman of the town (before it was actually Berwyn) in 1894 as a small lending library circulated out of the house of Berwyn co-founder Charles E. Piper, the library grew and grew, moving locations many times over the years until finally settling at 2701 S. Harlem Ave in 1996. In 1926 they boasted 4,000 volumes, which has ballooned to over 250,000 volumes and some 375,000 items.
The fine folks of the Berwyn Library are very active and entertaining on social media and within their building have created an inviting space, especially in the children’s section. Additionally they seem to offer a great deal of community events. For a fully detailed history of the library check out Eileen Pech’s book, available both as a free pdf online as well as in print at the library.